Key ideas regarding Omega-3 fatty acids
When we talk about omega-3 fatty acids, we need to consider the following aspects of EPA and DHA:
- EPA and DHA are essential fatty acids so they must be ingested through diet because our bodies have only a very limited capacity for synthesizing them .
- The omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA are precursors to the resolvins, maresins and protectins that play key roles in activating the resolution of inflammation.
- Insufficient intake of EPA and DHA may cause impairment in the resolution of inflammation, provoking a predisposition to the development of such inflammatory diseases as cardiovascular and neurodegenerative diseases.
- In a typical Western diet there is more than enough intake of omega-6 fatty acids but, generally speaking, we need to increase our consumption of omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA.
- The availability of omega-3 fatty acids and the formation of resolvins may be insufficient in inflammatory diseases.
- In human physiology the inflammatory response is necessary and the role played by omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA is essential to controlling its magnitude and to activate the resolution of the inflammation.